Skip to main content

Blog

Embracing Change, While Changing Diapers

By the time my twins were two, I had easily changed over 10,000 diapers.  Diapers so tiny they looked like they belonged to a doll and larger versions with cartoon characters and stretchy sides.  With each change in diaper size came a new phase.  Just when I felt competent in this daily ritual, a newly mobile infant’s wiggles would force me to be more present.  And then there was that period of time when play was far more interesting than a clean diaper, and I was reminded to slow down and be patient.  Or the period when a testing toddler wanted to do it themselves which reminded me to laugh, because really sometimes there is nothing left to do.  And while I do think of myself as a diaper duty master now, the mechanics of changing a diaper is the least of what I learned.  Change is a constant in motherhood, and a new season is always right around the corner. When my kids began to show interest in potty training, one would assume that I was thrilled about outsourcing this task.

35 Simple Summer Activities for Kids


A day at home without plans is my favorite kind of day.  That is why I so enjoy summer break. Summer is about slowing down, relaxing, and enjoying the simple things in life. But I don't want the relaxing vide of summer to negate all that my kids have learned during the year. I also know my tendency towards staying home could result in some pretty long summer days. So this summer I decided to build some framework around the simple summer schedule we would keep. My philosophy was to create some organization around the things we would do anyway to make learning intentional.  Each week has a theme like animals, garden, farm, or summer. I try to consider learning goals around activities that fit the theme. I really enjoy researching activities, exercises, and art projects from resources like Pinterest. But you can implement this same idea in a simpler way if you don't enjoy such research, or don't have the time.   Just think about what you would be doing anyway, and try to set a learning objective to obtain. Still sounds too taxing for summer? I have included 35 simple summer activities and some ideas for intentional learning.

Quiet Activites

Any of these activities can be tied to a weekly theme
  • Read
  • Craft project- relate them to a book you are reading to create a storytime activity
  • Paint
  • Play-doh or clay
  • Color
  • Puzzle
  • Stickers
  • Practice an academic skill like letters, numbers, handwriting, cutting etc.  

Outside Activities
  • Nature walk- create a nature scavenger hunt by looking for specific items
  • Play with sand
  • Play outside- use my Outside Addition Sheet to practice basic math skills
  • Ride bikes/scooters
  • Bubbles
  • Sidewalk chalk- draw shapes or number and letters 
  • Plant a garden/flowers- talk about the parts of a flower

Water Activities

Discuss the properties of liquids
  • Water table
  • Swimming
  • Water balloons- play games to practice identifying colors
  • Sprinklers
Places to Visit
  • Splash pad
  • Zoo- complete an animal scavenger hunt
  • Library- pick books related to the weekly theme
  • Children's Museum
  • Park- practice counting with my Park Scavenger Hunt printable
  • Farm- use my Farm Field Notes to learn about animals
  • Bookstore
  • Bakery- buy a treat and practice counting money

Other Ideas
  • Cook or bake together
  • Play games
  • Go berry Picking
  • Arrange a play date- practice those social skills
  • Turn on music and dance
  • Make  instruments- many tutorials online utilizing common household items
  • Create busy bags- lots of ideas on Pinterest
  • Indoor play place





Popular Posts